1. Foster widespread government and community commitment to village poultry.
2. Collaboration and liaison with other NGOs (Small Scale Livestock and Livelihood Program, InterAide, Land O-Lakes, Concern Worldwide and Peace Corps) and the Malawi Government’s Livestock Department through the provision of training materials and technical support for delivering poultry health programs for small-scale farmers.
3. Advocate for the smallholder poultry sector in Malawi.
4. Improve control of Newcastle disease and other sources of loss through supporting the stability and sustainability of the government’s I-2 Newcastle disease vaccine production unit at the Central Veterinary Laboratory.
5. Promote training and education at all levels, in smallholder poultry and related subjects through continued programs for training community based poultry technicians, striving for equal numbers of men and women.
6. Serve as a focus for a network of individuals and institutions who are involved with village poultry in Malawi.
7. Serve as a small but significant local centre of excellence on the village poultry sector.
8. Undertake some basic field research on health, production and marketing of village poultry.
9. Promote measures to improve the health and production of village poultry.
10. Evaluate and optimise the potential of rural poultry genetic resources.