Decision tools for family poultry development
We worked with the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO), with funding from the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) to develop the publication,“The Decision Tools for Family Poultry Development” (DTFPD) available here.
This resource aimed to help government, NGOs, and grassroots organisations on the implementation of family poultry programs. And it provides a range of information and good practices for different types chickens and flock sizes, to help people develop the best interventions.
This publication was developed to raise awareness on how village chickens can enhance family incomes and improve food security. The information includes field experiences to give scientists, socio-economists, politicians, donor administrators, and project officers to provide information to plan programs appropriate for local conditions. Find more resources like this here.
The publication assists project designers to:
- Have a practical understanding of family poultry production systems and the inputs and outputs required;
- Define the objectives of a family poultry project and its criteria for success;
- Conduct an initial assessment to determine if a family poultry project is an appropriate intervention for the prevailing local conditions;
- Determine which interventions are most appropriate in each situation;
- Consider the timeframe appropriate to support the implementation of a sustainable family poultry production program; and
- Formulate robust, but cost-efficient participatory monitoring and evaluation.